Not everyone in the world has the opportunity to attend school in the way the western world runs them. In Nepal up in the mountain villages some teachers and their pupils walk over an hour to school along dangerous narrow tracks, swinging bridges and difficult terrain. This does not stop them or hold back their enthusiasm to reach their destination to teach and learn. Nepal has suffered in the past from a long civil war and not so long ago a huge earthquake that devastated the land and the population. Those left have had many hardships to deal with but they are a proud and industrious nation and those teachers that our group have come into contact with have our total admiration for the daily struggles they face in order to teach. 2018 was the fourth year that some English speaking teachers from The Netherlands visited Nepal to run some further education courses for Nepalese teachers. Their aim is to help improve the lesson content of English lessons that are given to Nepalese children. The group focused their attention and efforts in the area of Pokhara and some surrounding villages. In 2018 this group set up an official charity called Teach Nepal project to make sure that all the money raised and donated was sent to the right place to help further the education of children in western Nepal in some of its’ most remote areas.
It is only 9 months since we became a registered charity but in the remaining months of 2018 we have already made progress in a number of areas. The decision to become an official charity was made because we needed to have our own bank account in order to raise funds and so that donors can benefit from our ANBI charity status.
Here are a list of our achievements so far: (click on the links)
What next? our wish list for 2019 and beyond………………
- To complete the libraries so that all schools have a full set of basic reading, phonics books and a suitable environment to encourage them to use the books
- Provide tables and chairs from local trades people and suppliers
- Equip and decorate the libraries with attractive & relevant posters and stationary
- Extend our team to encourage more fundraising to ensure continued support for the schools
- Attract volunteers to work in the schools
- Provide resources and guidance for the teachers to support their teaching in the classroom
More cupboards & furniture for libraries
More books & resources
Training/support for teachers
And with your help and support we can do this!